How to Write, Deploy and Test a Smart Contract
In this article, I will give you a smart contract tutorial. It will tell you how to quickly write, test and deploy Ethereum smart contracts. My motivation is to help people to make the first steps. There are several good tutorials which helped me to get started. But I missed kind of a “cookbook recipe” for the entire journey, starting with the installation of tools and frameworks and ending with deployment to Ethereum and usage out of an application.
And so, I decided to write down all the steps involved and hope that you will find it helpful!
I’m working on a Mac, but I’ll provide links to the documentation of all tools and frameworks so that you’ll be able to find fitting instructions for your personal environment.
Today we will:
- Setup an environment that allows you to write production-ready smart contracts
- Write a simple smart contract
- Test security and style guide issues with solhint
- Write unit tests with a Truffle framework
- Deploy the contract on the Rinkeby testnet using MetaMask and Remix
- Execute calls on the deployed smart contract