E-money, short for Electronic Money, is the electronic alternative to cash. Since it started as a concept in the 1980s and rose to prominence during the Dot-Com era, it has acted as one of the biggest game-changers in the financial industry. In a matter of only four years, from 2014 to 2018, the number of electronic money transactions in Europe alone doubled to more than 4 billion.
This aspiring form of money deserves our attention. To provide a starting point, this article will give an overview of:
- The definition of e-money as a whole
- The subtle distinctions in its applications
- The process of electronic payment with e-money
- The potential downsides of e-money
- And finally, e-money licencing and who should apply for such a license
Let’s start!Read More